Alternative Services-NE, Incorporated provides BOTH 24-hour residential support to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and mental illness. Quality of life provides room for privacy within and outside of the residential setting. Each individual’s life encompasses a variety of settings. In the home environment, individuals can enjoy their own personal space and possessions; take part in the planning and preparation of their meals to assure that personal and cultural preferences are addressed. Individuals determine:
- How to use their leisure time
- To take part in individual or group recreational activities
- To socialize with other members of their household
- To exercise the option to entertain family members and friends.
The residential environment also affords the individual with learning and a therapeutic enriched environment where some services specified in the individual plan may be delivered. The individual’s quality of life is enhanced by their community involvement. Community inclusion provides an ideal learning environment for individuals because skills are acquired in the settings where they will be used. The individual may develop important skills associated with:
- Community safety
- Accessing community services
- Developing personal finance skills
- The use of public transportation.
Each individual is afforded the opportunity to become a consumer of community services by:
- Utilizing service providers in their community
- Involving themselves in religious and cultural opportunities
- Participating in community, recreational and volunteer activities
To make a referral to the personal supports program contact a Program Coordinator at 1567 Lisbon Street Suite 2, Lewiston, Maine or by telephone at (207) 777-1107.